It’s October… Autumn is an exciting time to be in Oswestry – whether you are visiting for a day or longer, the borderlands make a great place for a relaxing staycation. As our beautiful surrounding countryside begins to change colours for autumn, our local markets and shops show off freshly harvested local produce. Outdoorsy types will love the many walking routes and trails that lead to beautiful views of our unique borderland landscape – make it as relaxing or as exhilarating as you’d like!
Are you ready to visit Oswestry? This is what you could be experiencing this week…
We have plenty of fantastic seasonal events taking place throughout the year, and autumn is no exception! From live music, delicious cream tea on a barge trip, and one of a kind Halloween experiences, here’s what you could be doing this week in Oswestry…
- Halloween starts early in Oswestry… Pumpkinfest at Park Hall Countryside Experience is fantastic fun for little ones – enjoy the pumpkin themed games and explore the Witches Cavern. The Paranormal Night at Whittington Castle on the 16th Oct is not for the fainthearted – will you spot any ghosts when spending a night at the Castle?
- Oswestry is the place to be for music lovers this week! Begin with a lively night of jazz with the Emma Linney Band at Hermon Arts on Thursday, on Friday enjoy the relaxing ambiance in Wilsons on acoustic night, and on Friday enjoy the incredible local talent of the Orthopaedic Male Choir at Hermon Arts.
- What could be better than gliding over the Llangollen Canal in style? Don’t miss the Canal Cruise with Afternoon Tea on the 17th October – there’s no better way to enjoy cake!
- There are still tickets available for an Evening with Matt Baker hosted by Booka Bookshop – perfect for lovers of the countryside.
Our historic town centre and surrounding beautiful countryside make the perfect place for an autumn day out or holiday. Whether you are looking to discover your next outdoor adventure, or stay cosy in a pub or cafe, we have you covered here in Oswestry.
- Our quirky cafes are the place to be for a warming drink and tasty cake. Get cosy in the charming historic interior of The Old School House, enjoy your first hot chocolate of the season at Fat Rabbit, and relax in the cafe at our award winning bookshop Booka.
- Our traditional pubs are waiting to greet you – try the incredible selection of craft ales available at The Bailey Head, enjoy a freshly cooked meal at The Griffin Inn, and watch some sport at The King’s Head.
- Looking for the best places to see the autumnal colours from? We have plenty of stunning viewpoints to see the changing landscape from. Visit Old Oswestry Racecourse to follow historic Offa’s Dyke Path or discover the beautiful racecourse woods. Climb up the Cliffe at Nescliffe for a stellar view, and to find the caves where a highwayman was reputed to live. If you’re looking for beautiful waterside walks than look no further than Ellesmere and Lake Vyrnwy, which look beautiful year round.
- There is plenty of fun for the whole family in Oswestry and the Borderlands this autumn – explore our magnificent castles Whittington Castle and Chirk Castle, head down to Park Hall Countryside Experience for Pumpkinfest, and book an escape room or laser tag session at Black Hawk Laser Games for a one of a kind family experience you won’t forget!
Whether you stay in our eclectic and charming town centre, or in the peaceful countryside, we have the perfect accommodation choices for you. Imagine waking up to incredible views across the borderland countryside, or to our buzzing town centre on a market day?
There is still plenty of time to book for a relaxing autumn staycation, so we hope we’ll see you soon!