Members - Information for businesses who want to promote Oswestry & The Borderlands
We invite you to join Oswestry Borderland Tourism – the only organisation that exists solely to promote Oswestry and The Welsh Borderlands to new and returning visitors.
Oswestry Borderland Tourism - our vision
Our Vision is for Oswestry & The Borderlands to be seen as one of the most desirable UK destinations, providing a welcoming and memorable visitor experience that reflects the area’s historic, cultural and natural heritage.
Oswestry Borderland Tourism - our mission statement
Our Mission Statement: To grow footfall and spend, benefitting the local tourism and hospitality sectors and other community stakeholders, by raising awareness of Oswestry & Borderlands as the ideal destination. To promote our membership to visitors and residents and to champion the benefits of the visitor economy.
Membership of OBT costs from £65 for one year
Approx 12,000 monthly web site users
over 4,200 FB Likes
1.4k Instagram followers
Enquire about Membership
One page on www.visitoswestry.co.uk with option to update your own information
Posts on Social Media throughout the year
Advice and help with tourism related matters
Option to upgrade entry on www.visitoswestry.co.uk
Option to feature in visitors’ newsletter at extra cost
Option to take featured entry on web site at extra cost
Option to have highlighted entry on top level pages on www.visitoswestry.co.uk
Option to advertise in any print produced by OBT
Free use of images and videos produced by OBT
Free display of information in Oswestry Town TIC
Discounted photo shoot by Graham Mitchell
Latest information for tourism businesses regarding corona virus is here.
This is what OBT does:
www.visitoswestry.co.uk – Create and promote Oswestry and The Borderlands via this web site.
@Oswestrytourism – promote via Facebook. Initiatives include promotion of member events, news and stunning local images.
@OswestryTourism – promote via Instagram. The local area is shown in images taken by local photographer Graham Mitchell.
Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn – all promote the town and area with opportunities for members to feature
Break for the Borderlands – visitors’ newsletter which is sent regularly to approx. 1000 interested visitors.
Oswestry Town TIC – we operate the town TIC at Castle View, Arthur Street.
Working together – OBT is represented on Oswestry BID and Visit Shropshire Boards. Oswestry Town Council supports OBT and we work closely with them to promote the town.
Oswestry Borderland Tourism Ltd. is a not for profit organisation and, with the help of our staff, the company is managed by a board of members who volunteer their time to help promote Oswestry and The Borderlands.
In the last 18 months OBT has:
- Agreed new financial packages with Oswestry Town Council and Oswestry Business Improvement District to support our promotional activities
- Worked with Oswestry BID to maximise the grant aid available to the local visitor economy.
- Had representation on the boards of Oswestry BID, Visit Shropshire and Oswestry Cultural Consortium
- Re- located Oswestry Town TIC from Oswestry Visitor & Exhibition centre and opened a new TIC at Castle View SY11 1JR
- Taken a free membership of Shropshire Chamber of Commerce
- Received a grant from Marches LEP with Oswestry Town Council and Oswestry BID to produce 65,000 copies of a new town map, replacing the current town map boards to show the new TIC location and extra advertising with Google and Facebook ads
- Applied for and received £3000 grant from Mail Metro media and featured in ads in Mail on Sunday, Daily Mail, Metro North West and Metro Midlands
- Applied for various grants through the DARG scheme which enabled us to continue to pay our staff, move the TIC at no extra cost to members, purchase new equipment, and to continue promotion of Oswestry & the Borderlands
- Secured funding to create the first version of the Wales Ambassador scheme. Employed Nicky Williams to set up the web site and initial modules.
- Membership: Given all existing members 6 months free membership
- Attracted new members with an extended offer of 18 months membership (6 months free).
- Kept members up to date with the latest information about the Covid 19 pandemic by sending regular newsletters
- Contacted Shropshire Council, Marches Growth Hub, Owen Patterson MP, Nigel Huddleston MP to lobby on behalf of our members
- Marketing: Updated the web site www.visitoswestry.co.uk
- Rebranded as Visit Oswestry
- Increased web site traffic by 70% plus on previous years
- Increased Facebook reach 2021 to date 300,000- 232% increase
- Increased Instagram reach 2021 to date 48,000 – 660% increase
- Created new videos including the Oswestry Staycation video with Painted Life, Oswestry Town, Montgomery Canal, Llanymynech Heritage area and Nesscliffe and Old Oswestry
- Created a new visual area map of Oswestry & The Borderlands
- Engaged Insynch to create a total digital marketing strategy for Oswestry and The Borderlands
- Paid for ads on Google, Facebook and Instagram
- Put out a first promo on TikTok
- Designed and improved the Wilfred Owen Trail and Town Heritage Trail
- Created a new mini guide to Oswestry & the Borderlands at no extra cost to members.
- Included 40,000 copies of the Oswestry Town map in While we Visit Shropshire packs which have been delivered to every accommodation and TIC in Shropshire
- Set up a LinkedIn entry for Visit Oswestry
Ready to join or renew your membership? You can download the forms and pay here.
Sign up for our business users’ newsletter
If you have a business interest in local tourism and you would like to receive information about Oswestry Borderland Tourism and what’s happening in Oswestry and The Borderlands, please sign up to our newsletter here. Non members receive a selected number of emails during the year.
Lee Lucks – Chairman
Karen Pringle – Tourism Officer