The Parish Church of St Oswald, King and Martyr
Church Street, Oswestry, SY11 2SY
St Oswald’s is a large town centre church which provides a focus for the community with which it aims to engage to bring the love of God.
The church tower is the tallest and possibly the oldest building in Oswestry, dedicated to St Oswald who was killed at the battle of Maserfield in 642 AD. A simple structure was probably built to mark the spot, replaced by the present tower which is almost 1000 years old. The church was badly damaged in the Civil War when it was attacked by the Roundheads, who are thought to have used it as a stable. It was rebuilt after the Civil War and again in the 1870s.
Our visitors’ book shows that many people visit from all over the country and the world, commenting on the peace and beauty they find. There is a ‘walk-round’ guide pointing out interesting features such as the ancient Yale memorial and the 17th century painted tryptych.
Sunday services are at 8.00 am,10.30 am and 6.30 pm and visitors are most welcome. Worship is supported by our cathedral-style choir which sings seven services a month. Choristers are aged from 7 to 70s. There is a very fine three-manual Hill organ built in 1911 and completely restored in 2014.
It is a pleasure to hear the eight bells ringing for services and weddings.
The church has a full range of activities including Messy Church, Under 5’s and adult groups for study and fellowship.
For more information about our lovely church and a calendar of services, events and weekly news, visit our website
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.